An electrical short or a short circuit happens when the wiring conductors for some reason have either touched each other or a metal grounded object. Also if an appliance has reached the end of its life cycle can cause a short circuit.

Shorts can be serious if the circuit breaker protecting the circuit malfunctions and does not trip. If this occurs heat can be built up so high that it can start to burn anything it touches. The wires themselves have insulation around it that will start to melt. This is the smell one might sense and this is the time to turn off the main breaker at your electrical panel.

If the breaker does trip it has done its job thank god. If you try to reset the breaker and it trips immediately you have a classic short somewhere.

Don’t try to fix this on your own. This should only be trusted in the hands of a licensed and trained professional electrician. There is a high risk of electrocution and damage to your electrical system that could result in an electrical fire.

Call Richard Marton Electrical Contractor LLC immediately to resolve serious electrical issues such as short circuits and tripping breakers before they become a deadly problem.

Call Now! 201-262-7710

Richard Marton Electrical Contractor LLC is a full service electrical contractor serving homeowners and businesses in Bergen, Passaic, Essex and Morris County New Jersey with electrical installations and repairs. We are also a certified Generac Generator dealer and installer.

Richard Marton Electrical Contractor LLC works with general contractors, residential architects, interior decorators, interior designers, painters, property management and property maintenance professionals, and professional organizers. We work with these professionals to give clients top of the line electrical installations within such projects as residential remodeling, residential renovations, plus build outs of new kitchens, bathrooms, home offices, add-a-level residential project and more.

Back to Electrical Repairs